Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mod Podge, Meet Distress

Materials Used:
Step 1: Start with a plain large chipboard letter.

Step 2 and 3: Using acrylic paint and a foam brush, paint the letter a solid color. I use my acrylic block (for stamping) as my paint palette.

Step 4: Using your decoupage medium, begin gluing down your paper. You can use one solid piece of paper, or glue down bits of paper for a collage effect. Try to keep from getting glue on the top of the paper. This will make it easier to stamp on the letter later.

Step 5: Allow your letter to dry. If you're impatient like me, you can use a heat tool to speed up the process :)

Step 6: Turn the letter over, and use a craft knife to trim up the edges. If you want a more distressed look, you can always tear the paper off the edge.

Step 7: Rough up the edges a little with a sanding block.

Step 8 and 9: Using Stazon Ink, and your favorite stamps, decorate the front of your letter. Allow the ink to dry completely.

Step 10: Ink up the edges with Walnut Stain Distress Ink. I also blended the ink onto the whole letter in order to enhance the torn paper edges.

Step 11 and 12: Seal your letter with another coat of decoupage medium. I used a heat tool to speed up the drying time. I am SO impatient when it comes to waiting for glue to dry :)

Step 13 through 15: Using a pencil, mark the holes for the sawtooth picture hanger, and hot glue it down.

Step 16: Hang it up, or give it to someone you love!

2 comments:

  1. Love your distress work! I'm wondering if using modpodge on top of distress ink will cause the ink to bleed?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Reading them is always the high light of my day!

~Courtney