Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Filming, DO NOT ENTER

This project has a story. As you might have read in a previous post, I moved all of my crafting stuff to my mom's house a few miles down the road. She turned my old bedroom into a craft room for us, and it just didn't make sense to keep loading up my stuff every weekend to go craft at her house, and then lug it all home to my itty bitty desk. I've also started shooting tutorial videos, which I of course have to do at her house where all of my stuff is. Well, family is always visiting, and people are in and out of her house, so it was getting semi-annoying to announce to the whole house that I was about to start filming so no one would come barging into the room...hence, a sign :)

This is a super easy project, and doesn't involve a lot. Enjoy!

Materials Used:
  • Plain Wooden Sign
  • Acrylic Paint
  • Paper - Graphic 45
  • Mod Podge, or another decoupage medium
  • Stazon Ink
  • Tim Holtz Stamp Set - Captured Moments 
  • Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Walnut Stain
  • Ink Blending Tool
  • Foam Brush
  • Cricut Expression
  • Storybook Cricut Cartridge

Step 1: Paint your wooden sign a solid color with acrylic paint, and allow to dry.

Step 2 and 3: Using your decoupage medium, glue down your paper and allow it to dry. I 'allowed' mine to dry with a heat tool :) Try to keep the glue from getting on the top of your paper. That will make stamping on it later a lot easier.

Step 4 and 5: Using Stazon Ink, stamp various images on the background of your sign. The lip on my sign didn't allow for an acrylic block to fit, so I used the stamp with my hands. It made for an awesome distressed look.

Step 6: Ink over the background with Walnut Stain Distress Ink. It's amazing to watch how the ink brings out the tearing on the paper.

Step 7: Seal the background with your decoupage medium.

Step 8: I cut my words out with the Cricut Expression, using the Storybook Cartridge. The larger letters were cut at 2.25 inches, and the smaller letters were cut at 1.25 inches. Using the decoupage medium, I glued them down where I wanted them, and sealed them over with more decoupage.

It's that easy! I hope you all find this helpful! Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty - give it a try!

6 comments:

  1. Love,love,love this sign!!! You always amaze me with your talent! I never would have thought to disign the background before putting on the letters. (I have a lot to learn) Keep the great ideas coming!! Love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job on this sign. So Cute! Shari (cricutrookie)

    ReplyDelete
  3. super cute - my mom just bought me one of Tim Holtz books! Excited to look at it

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the technique

    chriswooten57
    mcwooten1999@carolina.rr.com
    http:turnedgypsy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Courtney, I have GOT to make one of these for my studio! AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! and Great ideas with amazing techniques as usual! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. enjoyed reading your blog. love all your tags.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Reading them is always the high light of my day!

~Courtney